History of Saint Thomas
In 1908, six founding families laid the cornerstone for the original small brick building that was to become St. Thomas. The membership grew to 90 families by 1916 when The Reverend Robert Bell was called as rector. Growing with the city, St. Thomas has developed its own personality, including a concern for youth, education for all, service to the community and support for the arts.
- The present 16th century Spanish-style church was completed under the leadership of The Reverend William McMurdo Brown, who became rector in 1929.
- In the 1950s, during The Reverend Gerald Graham's tenure, the Great Hall was added to create space for parish and community activities.
- The 60s were a tumultuous time for the country, Denver and Park Hill. Under the leadership of The Reverend Marion Hammond, St. Thomas met the challenge. Our building facilities were offered to many groups as the community struggled with issues such as civil rights, school desegregation and fair housing. Contemporary music became a St. Thomas signature under the direction of music director Robert Johnson.
- The building was designated an Historic Landmark by the City and County of Denver in 1977.
- In 1989 The Reverend Sandra Wilson succeeded Rev. Hammond and served as rector of St. Thomas for ten years.
- The Reverend Paul Spurlock served as rector from 2002 until his retirement at the end of January 2007.
- In May 2007 The Reverend Ruth Woodliff-Stanley was appointed as Priest-in Charge, becoming our rector in 2010, a position she held until November, 2015. She continued St. Thomas' themes of diversity, inclusiveness, service to the community and a loving welcome to all God's people.
- The Rev. Bob Hart came to St. Thomas as interim in December, 2015, and will remain with us as we search for a new rector.